Maps & Drawings for the Town of Covert
Lake Lanes-Interlaken Fire District map supplied by the Interlaken Fire Department
About the Tunison Barns
The Tunison house was built by William Boorom in 1854. It is assumed that the upper "bank" barn was built the same year. Examination of some of the massive oak beams reveals that they were reused from an earlier mortise and tendon frame. Mortise and peg holes are sometimes misaligned or facing the wrong way.
Three hurricanes in the 20th century have required extensive barn repairs. The lower barn is of later construction, although prior to 1900. Mostly framed with sawn timbers, it partially covers the original roadbed when Tunison Road had a dogleg that veered to the east and ran down along the edge of the woods to meet Halls Corners Road, just yards from the north end of Stout Road.
Built as a carriage house, it has three horse stalls and a box stall at the rear. The entire second floor is a hayloft designed for loose hay.